YBS India [Youth Buddhist Society India] is a volunteer, governmental,non-sectarian, non-profit, non-political people’s development movement based on Engaged Buddhism established in the year 1986 in Sankisa by Mr.Suresh Chandra Bauddha in Uttar Pradesh, India. YBS has brought grass root initiative, involvement, and development of mind among thousands of villagers and the human race in India.
Logo & Meaning
‘Candle stand’ in the middle means the foundation of Dhamma, Three candles represent The Three Jewels [Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha. with the help of The Three Jewels to turn the Dhamma Wheel [Dhammachakra] produce light to the candles.
History in a glance
The reason to established YBS India in the year 1986, because Buddha said, there is Dukkha (Suffering) and we can remove those suffering by removing the causes in order to attain happiness. Therefore, YBS is not working only to promote Buddhism but also work for social problems such as education, poverty, environment, economics, self-sustainability, and health-related education, etc.
- In the year 1990, Mr. Suresh Bauddha completed his graduation from Agra University, and during his studies, he worked for society, the Shakya community, and Buddhist culture because it was his dream. During the study period, he read a book named “Why I Became Bauddha” written By Dr.B.R. Ambedkar. This book made his dream strong.
- He met Ven. G. Pragyananda Mahathero at Resaldar Park Buddha Vihar Lucknow in 1990 and discussed regarding revival of Buddhism in India. Ven. G. Pragyananda promised to him that it would be great if you bring teen ager students and I will teach them as novice monks. Also, Ven. G. Pragyananda Ji suggested to him to go to Nalanda university for Buddhist study.
- In the year 1991, Mr. Suresh Chandra sent his younger brother Mr. Uttam Bauddha ( 9 years old ) and his Nephew Ven. Dr.Upanad Thero (10 Years old ) to Shrawasti Under the guidance of Ven.G.Pragyanand MahaThero. It was the beginning of a historical movement towards the revival of Buddhism.
- In the year 1993, Mr. Suresh Chandra met Ven. Pomnyun Sunim from South Korea at Vaishali and both became good friends and Sunim promised to do work together for Buddhism in India. During his study in Nalanda, Mr. Suresh Chandra opens a school named Sujata Academy under the Dhongeswry hill near Bodh Gaya with the support of Korean monks.
- In the year 1994, he completed his Master’s Degree in Buddhism from New Nalanda University Bihar state. During his study, he met many monks, Buddhist scholars. The year 1994 was very good for him and on another hand, this year was very bad for him because he lost his father on December 16th.
- In the year 1997, he met Mr. A.T. Arya Ratne the president of Sarvodaya Shramdana Society, Srilanka. This was his first visit abroad to participate in a Buddhist activity. Mr. Suresh Chandra learns a lot within very few days and came back. The president of Sarvodaya Srilanka sent 2 trained volunteers to Bodhgaya to give training to the teachers.
- In the year 1998, he visited South Korea with Ven. G., Pragyananda Ji, at the invitation of Ven. Pomnyun Sunim the president of Jongto society.
- In the year 1999, there was a heavy super cyclone in Orissa state. He went there with his 70 YBS youth volunteers to help and relieve people.
- In January 2000 went to Korea to study with the support of Ven. Pomnyun Sunim. Where he learned Dhamma, education, meditation, youth movement, etc.
- In the year 2002, Mr. Suresh Chandra returns back to India and started an education program for the Sankisa people. He built many schools and computer awareness program for village students. Invited monks and nuns for dhamma talk in the community.
- In the year 2003, he started Buddhist pilgrim for fundraising because many volunteers needed resources for works. Built 3 schools Mahamaya Academy Bhongoan, Sahid Visheswar Singh Inter Collage Baraipur, Gautam Buddha Public School Eta) 2 vihara at village Manikpur and Navigunj with the help OF Buddhist solidarity for reform of South Korea.
- In the year 2004, Mr. Suresh Chandra published few Hindi books for students and Buddhists. Buddhism for students, Buddhist rituals, etc.
- In the year 2005, Mr. Suresh met Tibetan Prime Minister Ven. Prof.Samdhong Rinpoche with the help of Mr. Prashant Verma, the director of Deer park institute Bir and after that met with HH The Dalai Lama Ji at Dharamshala. it was the turning point of Mr. Suresh’s life and YBS. He selected as a member of INEB South Asia. From the year 2005 to 2011 made an annual plan for a universal peace march in India and started from Sankisa to Sarnath in the year 2005 with 7 countries students from a different religious background.
- In the year 2006, INEB invited 3 volunteers from YBS to Thailand for 45 days Bodhisattva training course. In the same year organize Universal Peace March from Sarnath to Bodhgaya with 8 countries youths.
- In the year 2007 organize Universal Peace March from Bodhgaya to Kushinagar with 11 countries students.
- 2008 October invited great meditation, master Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh at Sankisa. Organized 5 days meditation camp for 10000 local people. organize Universal Peace March from Kushinagar to Lumbini, Nepal. Bought Land for YBS school at Sankisa.
- In the year 2009 started school construction was inaugurated by Prof.Samdhong Rinpoche at Sankisa. Organize a Universal peace march from Lumbini to Shravasti with 13 countries’ youths.
- In the year 2010, the opening of the YBS school building at Sankisa. Donated 8 Buddha statues to YBS village Vihara.
- In the year 2011 YBS India became a partner in the annual meeting of INEB at Bodhgaya. Organized Universal peace march from Jaipur to Jaisalmer in Rajasthan.
- In the year 2012 attend INEB conference in Sri Lanka. Built 3 Buddha vihar in different villages with the help of village people. Meeting with Mr. TC from the USA regarding medical service in India.
- In the year 2013 attend the INEB conference in Malaysia with other members. Started construction of Ashoka pillar. Meeting with HH the Dalai Lama Ji regarding his teaching at Sankisa. Charitable Clinic started at Sankisa.
- In the year 2014 started the preparation for HH the Dalai Lama Ji teaching in Sankisa. 10 youth visited Thailand for two months for the monk training.
- In the year 2015 HH the Dalai Lama Ji gave 3 days of teaching at Sankisa on Dhammapada. His holiness also inaugurated the Ashoka pillar.
- In the year 2016, the construction of the Abhidhamma hall started. Started animal husbandry school and organic agriculture schools for farmers and training center for them.
- In the year 2017, on the second-floor dormitory room construction started. Construction of Abhidhamma vihara.
- In the year 2018, His Holiness the Dalai Lama Ji visited Sankisa for the teaching on Bodhicharyavatar for 3 days to approx 80000 peoples. Inauguration Of YBS clinic and new Abhidhamma Vihara.
- In the year 2019 started shorter novice monk training at Sankisa. Started Dr. Ambedkar Eductaion Festival.
- In the year 2020 during the covid -19 pandemic help needy people.3 months residential novice monk training at YBS campus.Foundation of Bodhisattva center.